Most people think of the refrigerator as one of the most convenient storage places in our homes. You have leftovers? Put them in the fridge. Grocery items? Put them in the fridge.
But the truth of the matter is that the refrigerator isn’t always the most ideal storage place for certain foods. Sometimes you need to place them in the pantry, or even in a cabinet somewhere. Here are some common food items that shouldn’t be placed in the fridge.
- Many people insist on putting their potatoes in the fridge, but that’s not the right thing to do. Putting the potatoes in the fridge simply makes them taste worse. Instead, you should just put them in paper bags and store them in the pantry, where most types of potatoes can last for 3 weeks. What you shouldn’t do is to use plastic bags for potatoes. The plastic keeps the moisture in, and that accelerate the decay process.
- These are best stored someplace where there’s enough air circulating around them, so the fridge is out. A mesh bag is a good option, but you should keep it away from your onions which emit certain gases as well as moisture.
- Like onions, it’s best to store garlic loose with air circulating around it. Put it in the pantry, and it should be good for the next 2 months.
- Actually, there’s some debate going on about whether or not putting ripe tomatoes in the fridge is better than letting it sit in room temperature. But the facts are simple enough to understand: tomatoes are usually picked a few days before they’re fully ripened, and putting an unripe tomato can keep it from ripening. So your best bet is to just leave them out in your kitchen counter. To speed up the ripening process, you may want to place them in a paper bag. Once they’re fully ripened, you have 3 days to use them.
- Winter squashes. Butternut, acorn, spaghetti, and delicate varieties can last for at least a month out in the pantry.
- Storing your bread in the fridge will just dry it out. So just keep it in room temperature, and buy enough bread to last you for 4 days.
- Hot sauce. You don’t have to refrigerate this either. In fact, it’s a very long-lasting sauce, as it can last for up to 3 years just stored in your pantry.
- The best way to store your coffee beans is to put them in an airtight container in the pantry. The flavor of your coffee beans and your coffee grounds will be affected by the condensation in the fridge.
As you can see, not everything should be placed in your refrigerator. Sometimes you’re better off just leaving these items in your pantry instead.