It seems fairly easy to choose a rug for the home. Just pick one that “looks” right, and if you can afford it then it’s a good choice. You might want to read up on some customer reviews too so you can discover what its potential problems are before you buy it. As long as the reviews don’t say that it wears down easily or it’s very hard to clean, then you’ve pretty much made the right choice.
The right rug can really help bring the look of the room together. It can complement all the other elements in the room or bring a nice contrast to make the design more interesting.
Sometimes however, you may think you’ve found the right rug but when you place it in your home, you realize (too late) that it seems a bit off. How can you prevent this from happening? There are no guarantees, of course, but the following tips should help you pick the right rug right from the get-go.
- Do you have dark floors and dark furniture? If that’s the case, then dark rugs will just make the room look overly gloomy. A better choice is to use a lighter-colored rug, to add a touch of brightness. It can also provide a nice contrast to the floors and furniture. The rug shouldn’t be too large however, since it needs to balance the look rather than be a dominating element.
- Contrast is often a very important element and that goes with patterns too. If the color of the furniture and the accessories are neutral, then you can really improve the dramatic look of the room by getting a rug with a bold or big pattern.
- Conversely, if you already have busy patterns and colors in your room fabrics, then you can calm things down a bit by picking a rug in a solid color.
- Choosing the shape of your rug is also easy, as generally you want to match the spatial dimensions of the room. If the room is square-ish, then a square rug will be more suitable. A circular rug will do well too. But if the room is rectangular, then a rectangular rug is the better choice.
- For the bedroom, it’s not really recommended to place a rug under the bed. That area will be hard to clean, and you can’t see it anyway. It would be a better idea to get small rugs for either side of the bed. The rugs should be big enough so that when you get off the bed in the morning, your feet don’t touch the cold floor.
- It may also be a good idea to get a rug for the dining room. Place it under the dining table. Just make sure that it’s large enough so that when you pull out the chairs when you eat, all the legs of the chair are still on the rug.
- If you’re putting a rug on wall-to-wall carpet, don’t get a thick pile. People will just trip over it.
- For the living room, the rug is ideally placed in front of the couch and armchairs.
- If it’s a large living room, you can get overlapping medium-sized rugs.
Good luck on your search for the perfect rug! With these tips, you should have better luck in buying the most suitable rugs for your home.