For many people, mirrors are considered functional items. You have them in your bedroom so you can see yourself when you’re trying on clothes. You have a mirror in your bathroom so you can make sure you’ve brushed your teeth and shaved your beard properly.
But for interior decorators, the mirror is an integral element in transforming the look of any space. Here are some tips to help you use mirrors to enhance the look of your home.
- Use a large mirror for a small room. Mirrors give the illusion of space.
- The mirror can also brighten up a dark room considerably. When you notice yourself turning on the room lights when it’s daytime, that room is a prime candidate for some large mirrors. Place the mirror opposite the windows to reflect the light coming in from the outside.
- You can also use a full-length mirror at the end of a hall. This accentuates the length of the space, and it brightens up the area by reflecting light. It also comes in handy for some last minute checks of your appearance, so you can be sure you don’t have anything in your teeth!
- You can use a mirror as some form of artwork for your bedroom. This is best when you use more than one. You can group several mirrors of different sizes to get a livelier and more dynamic effect for the room. Or you can hang 2 or more mirrors together in a neat and symmetrical pattern. That gives a more composed and relaxing feel for your room.
- Mirrors work great with candles in setting up a cozy and romantic mood. You can put the candle right in front of the mirror, or the mirror can be placed on the opposite side of the room. For dinner parties, place some candles on the mantel with a mirror behind them. You can also set up more relaxed area for your bathroom with some candles and a mirror.
- In the living room, a mirror can work as the focal point of the interior design. You can set it up so that you can have a view of the outside when you come in the living room.
- You don’t have to limit yourself to standard rectangular shapes either. Mirrors can come in many different shapes and sizes. With a nice frame, it can work like a piece of artwork on your wall.
- You can also use the mirror in conjunction with your art. You can place a mirror in between two art works of the same size so you have a symmetrical look. Or you can place a mirror on each end of an artwork.
Find out for yourself how much nicer your home will look with just a few mirrors added here and there!